Saturday, September 15

abstractions

I am currently working on a design for a set that takes place in a subway station in New York. But it's not that simple. The play is about the dreams of 2 homeless people who live on the platform, and the set transforms as their imaginations shift. It's a lot of fun to design and very different from what I've done in the past.

Perhaps because my daily life involves the subway, at least 2 platforms per day, I have been looking very closely at what is around me.

Here are two unusual things I've seen in the past 24 hours:

A beet that was shaped like a heart. It looks even weirder on the cutting board.

And a Philadelphia SEPTA trolley beached in a parking lot in Brooklyn. Seeing this is a sort of blast from the past, as they were all over the place when I was growing up.

Maybe our lives are chock full of things like this, but we forget to notice them.

No comments: