Friday, January 4

a summation of gift knitting

We are getting farther and farther from the holidays and I just realized that I still haven't posted photos of the gift knitting I did. Here's a quick rundown.

First of all, I made a brioche stitch scarf to match the hat I made my father for his birthday. I'm very happy with how it turned out, though I have to admit that I found knitting it rather dull. Sorry, Dad. Be glad it's as long as it is! Pattern: Reversible Brioche Stich Scarf by from Lori Law
yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted

My mother received two knitting objects from me.
First, an alpaca neck warmer. She looks great in it and basically wore it for the rest of our visit. She also wanted to find more neck warmer patterns so she could make many more of them for herself. pattern: Buffalo Girl by Therese Chynoweth, from Summer 2005 Interweave Knits
yarn: Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud

and a pair of Fetching mittspattern: Fetching by Cheryl Niamath
yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Wool

I also made a puppet for our nephew Isaac. It was a fun and quick knit, and a real hit with his parents. I've also heard rumors that Isaac and his mother have been very busy feeding the puppet. pattern: Elliott the Dragon by Jil Eaton, from Interweave Holiday Knits 2007
yarn: Berroco Comfort

I have to admit that my holiday knitting isn't done, though I've moved on to other things. I am making a pair of Endpaper Mitts for my friend Laura. The gift is more of a belated baby shower gift, for her child who is now nearly 2. I promised I'd make something for her instead of the baby, and it took until last December for us to come to a decision on what that'd be. Anyway, I've made one mitt and am going to have to discipline myself to do the other one.
Pattern: Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang (link above)
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette (maroon) and Koigu KPM (lavender)

3 comments:

JenniferB said...

Wow, all your knits are impressive! Are those endpaper mitts difficult? I really like them, but where I live, one mostly needs fingers on mitts, unfortunately. But I wouldn't rule them out for gifts for people who are reasonable enough to live in more moderate climates than mine.

Eliza said...

Thanks! The Endpaper mitts are not so hard. I had the most trouble with the cast on method that Eunny recommends, which is actually the major reason why I haven't started the mate. They are snug and rather warm.

I have also wondered about whether they'd be useful, since my fingers seem to always be cold, but I've decided that they would work well under mittens, and would also be useful on those days in spring and fall when it's not really cold but you might also want something on your hands.

Parisbreakfasts said...

I love the green fingerless gloves you made for Em!
I bought grey stripped ones in Paris - there were tons all over...must get very cold there.