Sunday, March 1

new starts

I have been neglecting the blog this week. My excuse is that I don't have anything great to post. I do have a shawl/lace scarf to share, but I don't have any good photos. And I've started running, but again no photos.

What I do have is this, which I took yesterday. The economy has been on my mind. I talk about it with everyone I meet, even complete strangers. We're all strategizing on what we're going to do when the rug is pulled out from under us, what will be our backup plan. I've been trying to rack up hours at my day job, but it is completely miserable and I really have to drag myself there every day.

My backup plan is photography. There must be some way to make this work, whether through stock photos, photographing theatrical productions (my original plan) or just portraits of local people. In the meantime, I'm trying to master my new camera, learn Aperture and refresh my dormant photography skills.

What's your back up plan?

5 comments:

ADW said...

good eye, great shot.
i'd like a photography refresher too, i've forgotten so much over the years.

my back up plan?? hmm, can one go wrong with continuing to further their education?

Hilary said...

Wow, good question. I'd really like to start designing (knits) in earnest and selling patterns. But I feel very lucky that the San Francisco area hasn't been hit quite so hard as other parts of the country, and the government-run program I work on is doing very well funding-wise. Still, I do kind of hate it and *almost* wish I'd get laid off so I'd have an excuse to start that knitwear designing career...

If the photography on your blog is any indication, you should have a lot of success in that area. I mean, look at that wonderful photo you've just posted!

kat coyle said...

this is a great photo! i think walking around and finding inspiration around you is always a good place to work on the 'back up" plan.

t does wool said...

you have a great back up plan...me...hmmmm...need to think about that :)

Anonymous said...

You know, you're not the first person I've talked (can I use that word here?) to about this... My friend Bobby started a gallery in the store-front area of his apartment in Bushwick. That's his back up plan. He says that because we're already not getting the jobs we want to have, we should just make new jobs for ourselves. I guess he's right.

Maybe baking can be my back up. My Nana used to make and sell shortbread to the neighbors and cafes around town. That sounds slightly illegal....