Monday, August 27

haircuts

Several months ago, while watching Grey's Anatomy, Christopher told me that he didn't like Meredith Grey's hair. Actually, he specifically told me not to get her haircut. I'm not sure what he dislikes about her hair. I think it looks pretty good. I think she looks pretty good. And the thing is, my hair is long and so is hers. Hers is curly and I wish mine were curly. There's not that big a jump from my hairstyle to hers (except for a lot of styling and perhaps some products, and maybe more frequent haircuts).

So. I am generally pretty laid back about my hair. I don't style it, I wash it every few days, sometimes I forget to brush it. I get it cut when I'm desperate, which is probably about 2 or 3 times a year. A guy who I work with is pursuing a career as a hairdresser, so for the past year (yes, even before the wedding!) I went to his beauty school and got my hair done during his class.

He finished his program in May and since then has been working as an apprentice at a high end salon in the Flat Iron district. Part of his apprenticeship is that he has to bring 2 models in every Monday and do a cut. But not just any cut, it's the cut determined by the stylist in charge. It's like an assignment. Last week he told me that he had to find someone to do long layers on, which is more or less the cut I've had for the past 10 years. Boring, I know. Anyway, I jumped at the chance.

It was quite an experience. The salon is nice. Really nice. The guy who owns the salon does a lot of magazine shoots; there are photos of the do he did for Angelina Jolie on the wall. You can book a haircut with him for $950. Anyway, this place is high end, so I decided to just let my coworker and his mentor/teacher figure out what would look good on me.

The cut I got is a departure from what I've had for the past 10 years, which is probably a good thing. But whoa. It is really different! My hair is fairly short in the front, up to about my ear. These are supposed to be bangs, but swept away bangs. And then in the back it's all layered. I have to keep telling myself that I do not have a mullet.

Part of me thinks that I just have to get used to it. I will learn to like it, and when I wash it it will be less flat and more like what I'm used to. But I'm damn scared of these swept away bangs. Please tell me that it doesn't look like a mullet! and maybe it's ok if I look a tiny bit like Meredith Grey, even if Christopher will faint when he sees me.

No comments: