Wednesday, September 24

drafting relief

I asked a friend to come over today to help me figure out the forced perspective village. After half an hour of staring at my drafting, she admitted that she also had no idea what to do about it.

I then called a few friends from grad school, expert drafters, to ask advice. One of them, who has been assisting one of our teachers since our graduation (and just got back from presenting this teacher's latest design to the English National Opera), confessed to me that this is one of the hardest things to draft, and that for him to remember how to do it he'd have to sit down at a drafting table with a book for half an hour before he could even attempt to explain it to me. He recommended just sending the drawings I'd done (which included elevations and a plan) and along with my model, and that the carpenters should be able to figure it out.

I felt better that this wasn't just something that I'm incapable of: it's really hard.

Another friend called me back. She's been assisting one of our other teachers, our drafting teacher actually, who now has designed a bunch of sets on Broadway. Anyway, this friend was ready to explain how to draft my village over the phone, but by this point I was so done with it that I declined. I would like to know how to do this in the future, but I need to get these drawings into the mail. It is indeed time to move on.

In the meantime, we "cleaned" our apartment. It seems that every room (except the living room, which is immaculate) is now FULL of clutter. I'm not sure where it all came from, or where it can go. It's completely overwhelming... help...

3 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

Poor thing, out of the frying pan and into the fire! Take a deep breath, it will all work itself out.

Anonymous said...

oooof...how do some people get everything organized and out of sight? What is the secret!?
-Emily

Anonymous said...

now that drafting sounds like a challenge and I so want a crack at it!

good luck finishing the clean-up!