Thursday, May 14

mitts for mom

A few months ago, when my mom was visiting, she put on the Fetching Mitts that I'd made her for Christmas back in 2007. They were ragged, pilly, stretched out. She didn't seem to care - she mostly wears them while she's painting in her studio - but I was embarrassed by how they'd worn. Honestly I thought that Mission Falls 1824 was better than that. It should have held up better in nearly two years of wear. Seriously.

So when I was deciding what to make mom for Mother's Day, a new set of mitts were the obvious choice. I have sworn to use stash yarn this year (unless absolutely necessary), and was happy to find two skeins of Elsbeth Lavold Classic AL in my collection. It was perfect for the Rib-and-Cable Mitts (Ravelry Link) pattern from Interweave Knits from Spring 2006. I used some left over Brown Sheep Handpaint Originals from my stash for the borders, and when that ran out I subbed in some brick-colored Donegal tweed, also left over from an old project. (amazingly the colors blend together well, and you can't really tell unless you look closely).Mom seemed really surprised and pleased by the mitts. I really hope they wear better than the Fetchings did. Hopefully the Classic AL is a better yarn...

Notes! I made the hand about an inch longer than specified, since I like to keep my knuckles warm. Hopefully mom does too!

7 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

I love these. They are queued in my Ravelry thanks to you. The colors are wonderful together.

The Litter Box House said...

I agree that the color combination is gorgeous. Someone unnamed may copy you down the road ;)

Selkie on Ravelry

meg said...

Wow, I can't believe Mission Falls pilled that way! I just washed a Twinkle Chunky scarf that almost fell to pieces, but I rather expected that.

Beautiful teal & orange!

Anonymous said...

I love these! (And I still like the old ones, which are not going to be retired yet - just used for the dirtier jobs.)
The new ones are silkier to the touch, and the ribbed pattern makes them fit snug but not tight. Now I can look forward to fall weather!
Thank you Eliza,
Love from Mom

t does wool said...

beautiful colors...

Hilary said...

Great mitts! I LOVE the color combination. I've had good experiences with Classic AL -- I think it will wear well. What a wonderful gift for your mom!

chateaushare said...

Mom here: these have been fantastic for nearly 10 years. A few holes have appeared but I continue to wear them outside on cool days and in the studio when I'm being frugal with the heat. I love the colors, the fit and the soft firm texture.